Friday, March 20, 2009

Kirtsy? Sure, I can Digg it

My friend and fellow blogger, Matt, kindly introduced me to Kirtsy, another social voting site with a decidedly new twist: its target is a female audience. For many reasons, this is a great idea, but the main draw to me is that it may help women who might never have joined the conversation on Digg, StumbleUpon or Reddit (admittedly, I have never voted on these sites, though I do check them out occasionally - I do have a del.icio.us account, but don't really use it much either).

Posts on Kirtsy are decidely more girly fun than geeky fun. They may tend more towards crafts for Easter, off-the-wall wedding venues and lip balm, but you can still find articles about job-hunting, sports and current news as well. The color scheme is similar to Digg, but the layout is more vertical. One big difference between the two sites is that Kirtsy uses editors while Digg let's its users decide what they want to see most. I can really find topics I'm interested in on both sites, but Kirtsy does tend to be a little more like a gabfest among girlfriends than a serious news aggregator. Hey, not necessarily a bad thing though.

The site, originally called Sk*rt, got its start when three female bloggers decided to get together in 2007 and create something that was interesting to them. They found success early on, but met with some legal troubles over their name. So they quickly held a contest and relaunched as Kirtsy. Thankfully, most of the sites that were linking to them followed along.

Kirtsy is definitely a great site that I will be adding to my mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment