Sunday, February 8, 2009

I Won't Be A Hater If You Just Give Me What I Want

My fiance, Nien, was one of the first people in line when the iPhone first came out. He is incredibly tech-savvy and a computer programmer to boot, so I understood why he would be willing to fork over that kind of money. There was nothing about this new gadget that appealed to me though.

I remember getting so annoyed as Blackberry's and iPhones started cropping up and I started having to have a new sort of conversation - one directed to someone's bent head, as they more often than not missed whatever point I was trying to make. I thought it was so rude the way people were always glued to their little screens, typing away. In some cases it was even potentially dangerous. I remember one day stopping at a crosswalk and finding myself shouting desperately at a woman so busy walking and typing that she had a near miss with an oncoming bus.

So of course you can see where this is going...I just purchased an iPhone. Even though I always said phones were for talking, I found that people were texting me more and more, and my "talking phone" was not equipped for it. Hypocrite that I am, I looked at the model of my current phone that had a keyboard, turned up my nose at it and immediately came over to the "i" side. It was for the ease of texting, I said, but secretly I wanted that sleek exterior as well as the knowledge that I had beaten Nien to the 3G model.

I immediately loved it and became one of those obnoxious bent head people. On a visit to my father in Florida, I dimly remember nodding my assent to him when he asked me how my wedding planning was going. He must have thought he was spending time with a zombie - sorry Dad! I was downloading apps like a madwoman, and a week in, I had found my dream app.

Lose It! is every dieting stress-cases' fantasy...it takes into account your current weight and maps out a caloric strategy to reaching your goal weight. It suggests a daily calorie guide for losing 1-2 pounds a week, giving you a goal date. The calorie count seems a little low, but if you add in exercise you increase the amount of calories you can eat in a day. I really like this aspect of the program because so often people think that you can either exercise OR eat sensibly, but Lose It! really shows you that you should do both.

The best part about it is that you can look up almost any food, and if the food you are looking for isn't in there you can create a custom entry. It also saves your prior entries so you can quickly drop them in, as well as whole meals, which is great for someone like me who eats practically the same breakfast every morning. Here are a few screen shots so you can see what I am talking about:












While I am far from the crazy Bridezillas I've heard of lately (I hope), I still want to look good for my wedding. Lose It!, if anything, is making me feel like I have a plan. We'll see if it actually works (or I stick to it).

So I am officially a convert and am really trying to curb the number of times I look at my iPhone each day. Please feel free to snap your fingers in front of my face next time I see you if I am showing you the top of my head. I would do it to you.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you should have Nien develop an app like Lose It! that gives people a daily goal on how many times they can check their iPhone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Or perhaps an app that plans your entire wedding for you?

    ReplyDelete