Friday, February 6, 2009

Paint It Pink and Put a Bow On It

As I was trying to come up with a name for my blog, I found myself turning to cutesy phrases like herPod, femmetech and Ladytainment...all equally cringe-worthy. I had to take a step back and think about what I was trying to do.

Ideally, I would like this blog to be about the way women consume entertainment and technology, however, in my very first interaction with the subject, I found myself doing what I think a lot of marketers do when it comes to tech products - thinking that if they make it pretty we will buy it.

Now, I want to make it clear that I am not going to get all crazy feminist here. I am just as guilty as the next gal for buying something I thought was cute or flirty. However, I do find it very interesting that company's like Sony are focusing their energy on women like me, trying to beautify their products so that I will crave them as I would crave the latest purse or shoes.

The female tech market has amazing potential, and companies have seized on this audience in the last few years. Also, as new platforms emerge, designers are finding ways to pique our interests and get us involved, even to the point of enticing us to get in on major testosterone realms like gaming. So with this blog I'd like to look at my experiences with tech, my obsession with entertainment, and the ways in which both industries try to engage the feminine consumer.

While in the interest of full disclosure I have to admit this is a class project, I think there are a lot of interesting topics to explore, so I hope you will enjoy it. Please feel free to chime in if there is something you'd like me to talk about, something I say that grinds your gears or even hopefully something you have experienced yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment